Carl Sandburg Elementary School, a Littleton Public School at 6900 South Elizabeth Street, Centennial, Colorado, is a neighborhood school conveniently located south of Arapahoe Road and east of University Boulevard. Its close proximity to Cherry Knolls Park with green space, walking path, stream and pond provide a huge backyard for physical education and science exploration.
Sandburg is fondly called “my school” by about 500 Preschool through 5th Grade students, their parents, and about 60 staff. Our school neighborhood prides itself on providing a safe, nurturing environment for children to learn since opening its doors in 1966. While about 75 percent of our students are from the Sandburg attendance area, including the surrounding neighborhoods of Cherry Knolls, The Knolls, Tiffany, Forest Park, Bristol Cove and Four Lakes, the other approximately 25 percent are open enrolled from areas around the Denver metro area. Most students who are continuing from Sandburg choose to attend Newton or Powell Middle School and then Arapahoe High School.
Our school follows a traditional school year from mid-August to late May. We are a high performing school with a tradition of quality education supported by a highly qualified staff and high volunteerism through our PTO. Our state (CSAP) and national (ITBS and MAP) assessment rankings are high. Student to teacher ratios are low and we offer a wide variety of programs to meet the individual needs of our students.
In October 2005, our vision to enhance the role of technology and real world science exploration at our school was made a reality, thanks to a large district grant for the Sandburg Center for the Sciences. Our three kiva areas are centers for inquiry-based, hands-on learning through the use of technology and in partnerships with science outreach programs along the Front Range.